Saturday, February 2, 2008

Blast from the past

There is a car that has been parked outside of my apartment complex for about three months now. This particular car appeared to have a small parking incident, and looks as though it was pulled up too far over the curb. It also appears as though when they backed off the curb, the entire front end ripped off. It sat there for two months with the front end hanging by a thread. It has since been "fixed" and is held together with bungee cords.

Apparently the owner is actually driving the car, held together with bungee cords, because they have recently swapped parking spots.

This car cracks me up everytime I see it (which is everyday), because a similar event happened to me in high school.

My first car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was in love with it. Our home had a two car garage, that was a pretty tight squeeze. One day, as I was pulling out of the garage, heading to field hockey practice, my mom ran out of the garage door. She was yelling at me for something; forgetting to clean my room, leaving stuff in the sink. Who knows? I don't remember the details.

However, I do remember getting frustrated and shouting something back at her. She continued yelling as I pulled out of the garage ever so carefully. But, at some point I got distracted, shouting something back and ripped off the entire front bumper off of my Jeep, while swiping the side of the garage.

First I started crying, my mom yelled some more, and then we erupted in laughter. Being the creative women that we are, we decided that my dad simply could not find out about this incident. We racked our brains and tore apart the garage trying to find something that we could use to fix it. We settled on duct tape, and literally duct taped the front bumper back onto the car (I really wish we had thought to take a picture of this).

Four hours later, dad noticed. Obviously, our plan was not as brilliant as we thought. I can't remember what happened next, but I do remember that the Jeep was taken away from me and I was stuck with the Subaru from then on out. I also remember going to field hockey practice and getting in trouble for showing up half an hour late. I tried to explain my sob story, but my coach was a jerk and made me run a trillion laps for being late.

No comments: