Tuesday, March 4, 2008


Seriously, I cannot handle anymore bad, stressful or unexciting news this week. For the past two days, I have flinched every time my phone rings expecting to hear bad news.

This happens to me every now and again. Whenever my mom calls at a random time, I freak out thinking someone is in the hospital or was in an accident. It has happened in the past, so it's not completely neurotic, but just a little ridiculous nonetheless.

Yesterday, I enjoyed a fabulous evening in with boyfriend. Halfway through our movie, my mom called. Apparently she and my father witnessed someone committing suicide (gun to his own head) while walking the dog on the dog path at 8a.m. The man was impeccably dressed and had a shiny wedding ring on. He had taped his license to his chest. They called the cops and were questioned by the detectives (only as witnesses of course). This of course freaked me out.

Especially because not even one year ago, my mom and grandmother witnessed another suicide while on vacation in Texas. My mother and grandmother were sitting outside on the patio, when a young, 16 year old man jumped off the top ledge of the building across the street. When they ran over to the boy, it was too late.

Seriously, what are the chances of witnessing this sort of thing not once, but twice. I've begged and pleaded for my mom to at least see someone or talk to someone and she refuses (ha, and her daughter is a psychologist). Of course, being a psychologist, I'm very concerned about PTSD and other residual problems. Mom was shaken after the first incident, but was fine later. However, now it's happened two times, i'm concerned (can you tell i'm the first born and that I got the worrying gene).

I may be wrong. My brother was a senior at Virginia Tech last year and lived through the attacks there. I was insanely worried that he would develop PTSD and other problems. But, he lived through it and doesn't seem to have any stress or problems surrounding the event.

Anyways, last night I was a little shaken up, but I went to bed and woke up in a better frame of mind. Then, this afternoon, I got a call that my sister was in the ER. Apparently, she came home from work at 12 complaining of a bad headache, and began shaking, throwing up and could not move her neck. My mom rushed her to the hospital (she lives with moms and pops). So, when my dad called me I had a little mini-panic attack and began freaking out again. She had a CT scan and a few other tests. The doctors were concerned about meningitis (lovely, I was just with her three days ago), but later ruled it out--not entirely, but the new drugs that they gave her helped with her neck, so now she's supposed to monitor herself for the next few days.

Thankfully, she was released from the hospital and went back home with my mom. They think it was just a migraine and are sending her to a neurologist. I know it's not great news, but I'm so relived it wasn't something a lot worse. Especially since my sister has spent half of her life throwing up on a weekly basis and with migraines. They thought it was just acid reflux and regular old migraines, but maybe they'll find out what the real problem is.

In other news.. I had my interview at ATLoft today. I think it went well and they'll call me tomorrow with the news. I'm not psyched, but I keep thinking- 50% off, 50% off, 50% off. It's my new mantra.

1 comment:

A.D. said...

Wow...what a week. Hope everything is okay with your sister and your parents after witnessing that! AND, I hope you get the job at the Loft (just so you can tease us with all of the new goodies that we can't afford to buy!)