1. The weather was GORGEOUS. Seriously, I can't think of anything more heavenly than 75 degrees. I wish it would stay like this all summer long.
2. We entertained John's family this afternoon. I cooked my tortellini pasta salad, potato salad and a garden salad. John cooked the burgers. They loved our house!
3. Gift cards to Home Depot. Is there anything better?
4. School is almost out, and although I work all summer, I'm taking almost every Friday and every other Monday off this summer. Bring on the pool.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
1. The weather was GORGEOUS. Seriously, I can't think of anything more heavenly than 75 degrees. I wish it would stay like this all summer long.
Phew, we pulled the dining room together.
I have a thing for green (you may have noticed from our old house if you're a longtime reader). I had to buy three different greens before finding the perfect one, but I found one that I fell in love with.
Green paint is dicey. It's often too minty, or too lime-ish. It's hard to find a good in between green.
In the end, I went with Sherwin William's Great Green for below the chair rail.
Above the chair rail we used Glidden's Wishes-- which is a cream color with just a hint of yellow.
I still don't know what I'm going to put in that corner cabinet. I'm trying things out, but I haven't fallen in love with anything. If you have any suggestions, please send them my way.
I think it came out pretty nice. I made the chair pads myself, we already owned the dining room set, my parents donated the light fixture, and the seller left the corner cabinet and high boy. So far, the only thing we've had to buy for this room is the paint.
Next, we need to hang some decor on the walls-- we have some green Ikea prints from last year and I would love to update the plain white cafe curtains. Ideas are welcomed and appreciated!
Saturday, May 30, 2009
1. Sleeping in! We haven't done that in awhile.
2. Another lovely day shopping around town with the fiance. We found a few more pieces at home goods and at marshalls that we had to add to the collection.
3. Lunch at our favorite hibachi restaurant. Did you know that hibachi is super affordable for lunch?
4. We finally finished (for the most part)the dining room. It's painted and it is almost totally put together.
5. It's Saturday and it was gorgeous out!
Friday, May 29, 2009
1. Hello, it's FRIDAY!!
2. The last Friday of the school year-- I'm taking off next Friday because I have a dress fitting appointment.
3. A fabulous night running errands with the fiance. It sounds boring, but we laughed our butts off.
4. We found the most perfect patio table and purchased other fun things for our new house!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Are you wondering what we've been up to?
(if you're my facebook friend-- sorry, this is old news)
Here's what we were working with when we moved in.
Most of the house is in great shape (new carpet, newer appliances, newer kitchen, newer hardwoods), but the dining room was a disaster. Okay fine, maybe not a disaster, but so not my taste.
This picture was taken during our inspection. The blue is a little too much, the wall paper is a little too country, and what was UP with the do it yourself stained glass window job?
We moved in on Friday, and started this (see below) on Saturday.
It took for-freakin-ever. I hate wallpaper. I've officially told the fiance that if we ever move, I will refuse to buy a house with wallpaper. I can't do that again.
It was so frustrating, I had to take matters into my own hands.
Our progress after several hours. UGH.
And here is how it looked as of Monday night (yay, finally)!
Pretty darn nice if I do say so myself....
Over the course of a few days we...
- tore down all wallpaper
- patched all the holes that were due to the wallpaper
- replaced the light fixture (the other one was AWFUL)
- Painted all of the tragic furniture that the seller left white-- it looks fab now.
- Removed all of the green triangles from the stained glass window (I still want the clear part, it helps with privacy)
That's all we've got for now, but I'll keep you posted on the Almost Newlywed 2009 Remodel. =]
Future plans include a paint job!
We've actually already painted below the chair rail, but we're waiting for the drywall to dry before we take on the top.
1. The kitties love the new house and are acting like it's no big thang..
2. We've been here one week today! YAY!
3. 7 more days with the kiddos (fab-u-lous)
4. The fiance and I had a fabulous dinner- salad, zucchini and pork chops in case you were wondering.
5. Our sweet neighbor made us dinner last night to welcome us to the neighborhood. How sweet is that?
6. Oh snap! I had another one, but I forgot it. hmmmm.....
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
It's a cell phone picture, but it was going for my toes.
funny story of the weekend: while I was drinking- er pounding Miller Lites on the patio on Saturday night a crayfish came crawling right by my chair and across our patio. Somehow, a random crayfish passed through our fence and made it onto our patio- we (the girls all screamed and now I'm afraid for my toes). I'm so confused by this. I live near a creek and a pond, but both are at least 100 feet away. That must be a long trip for such a lil' thing.
Moving is quite an adventure.
But we survived it.
We closed on Thursday, but things did not go as planned. The seller "forgot" to fix the fascia board, then he didn't have enough money to come to closing, then insert other random drama here. Up until an hour before closing we didn't even know if we'd make it to the table, but we did-- and now we're homeowners.
(side note: the whole process of settling is anti climatic). If I ever change my job completely and go into realty, I'm going to provide cake and balloons at each settlement).
We made a trip over on Thursday night to see our new house (weeeee) with some of our stuff (mostly clothes) and to change the locks. On Friday, me, the fiance and the best man loaded up a 17 foot budget truck and went to town.
I'm covered in bruises and bug bites, but we finished moving all of the big stuff and spent our first night in our new house.
We spent the rest of the weekend going back and forth from the house to the apartment to clean and get the rest of the little things. One huge truck was not enough.. we needed at least three more runs back and forth in our cars before we were finished. We also had to clean the apartment. Talk about a buzz kill. I wanted to paint and decorate, instead I was cleaning my old place. Gross.
We did manage to make some improvements to the new place. I was clearly delusional and thought the whole place would be painted immediately (not a single wall was) because, hello, we had four days. Yeah, that didn't happen but we managed to strip wallpaper, replace a light fixture, and fix drywall (we removed a faux fireplace).
In addition to all of that, we entertained two couples on our new back patio for a few hours on Saturday (read: lotsa miller lite) and celebrated a birthday on Monday.
Monday, May 25, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Today was slightly stressful... it was another IEP day and buying a house is a royal pain in the ass. Just when I think that they have everything that they could possibly need, they request another piece of information. Generally, this piece is hidden far, far away (like, why would I need that around) or it's already packed (annoying). I told the fiance that I'm not looking forward to buying house number two... like ever.
1. A little life break that included a few Miller Lites.
2. A fun kickball game against our old team AND we won.
3. Two compliments on my skirt today. The best part, I got it for 20 bucks at a Boden sale.
Monday, May 18, 2009
I am SASSY when I'm stressed. Poor fiance. He said something and I just snapped. It only lasted 10 seconds and I only yelled one word, but I'm a total sassy-pants right now.
I can't help it. I hate clutter and I'm living amongst a sea of boxes. I also went down to 2.5 milligrams of my anxiety meds about 2-3 weeks ago (clinical amount you should take is 10-20mg). Although it feels good to actually feel something, I'm definitely feeling more sass than laughs.
* I pick the best time to do things. It's not like I'm getting married and moving anytime soon.
In other news, lets move on to more positive things....
Grace in Small Things 6/365
1. Only two more work days for me this week!
2. Our appraisal finally came in (they were waiting for the roof to be completed) and it was on target. We should be set to close on Thursday!!
3. I went outside to do some recess observations. I love Spring.
4. The Bachelorette starts tonight. Although I'm not a huge Jillian fan, I love bachelorette drama.
I'm scared to go to work now.
Ever since I learned that I'm a terrible dresser with no skills I'm not looking forward to going back on the daily.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
It needs to be updated. I never look at it now that Google Reader has come into my life.
If you follow/read and want to be added leave me a comment! I would love to follow/add you and share the blog love.
1. Sleeping in. I love sleeping in.
2. I went to the Loft today to check out their advertised sale on cropped pants. While there, I noticed that all of the cardigans were buy one get one free. After the sale and my coupon, I got four cardigans for less than 60 bucks! They have cute buttons, they are crewneck with 3/4 length sleeves. The only problem is that they are a little short- to fix that I just went up a size.
3. Although it's Sunday night, I'm only working three days this week (due to the move).
4. We packed up most of the kitchen. We're making progress.
5. The fiance made dinner and cleaned up the mess. He's a sweetie!
I have been SLAAAACKING on the wedding front.
Seriously, aside from the videographer meeting on Thursday (oh, and the fact that someone bought us our entire set of pots/pans off of our registry-yay), I have not even remotely considered my wedding in the last two months.
I need to get on it.
I need a cake, a DJ song list (seriously, send me your suggestions), transportation, a meeting with our priest (lord knows if our wedding is still on the books-- we haven't heard from him since last November) and a diet.
The countdown is officially on. Today marks the exactly five months away mark. =]
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Laurie asked, so I will answer...
I got the idea for Grace in Small Things from this website.
I've been busy with the move so I will still post my regular shenanigans, but I want to make a commitment to finding the good in even the worst of days.
You're lucky enough to accompany on my journey to become a more positive person.
1. Gorgeous, beautiful weather. It was in the 70's and breezy. Perfection.
2. A trip to Home Depot (b/c we got to buy paint for our new place).
3. Mexican food and giant margaritas with the fiance.
Friday, May 15, 2009
1. It's Friday (HELLO)
2. A wild cherry slushy from 7-11
3. An evening out in current hometown with friends. We did the usual Friday night wings and beer and it will probably be our last one for awhile (we move next Friday).
4. Wearing my purple dress and realizing that it matches my purple pedicure perfectly.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Okay.. I need help/advice!
I need to find a nice cardigan.
I need to find several nice cardigans in assorted colors.
I love wearing dresses all day and every day during the summer. However, I need a few nice cardigans to throw over my dresses at work.
I cannot find any! I have a million from last Spring --when I was working at the loft. After a few trips in the dryer they are practically half shirts.
Here's what I'm looking for: crew neck, any length sleeves and LONG enough to cover at least a few inches past my waist. Oh, and I'd love to keep it as cheap as possible.
So yes, have you found anything that fits the bill so far this Spring?
1. I had 6 IEP meetings today but they passed quickly and went very smoothly.
2. My 1/2 hour cat nap with Sage.
3. John and I met and signed the contract with our wedding videographer tonight. I found him on the Baltimore Videographer Association, we're getting a phenomenal deal, and he seems really great in person. I'm excited that we can check this off the list.
4. When I drove over bridge today the water made me smile. It's gorgeous.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
1. A coworker told me that they loved my outfit (very fitting after yesterday).
2. I was wearing my 15 dollar red Walmart dress.
2. The fiance told me that I look like a model in one of our pictures.
Thanks for all of the cat advice! I want the move to go as smoothly as possible.
I'm actually quite nervous about the whole move. I've had Snap and Sage since they were tiny babies. They have spent their entire life in a one level - two bedroom apartment. They have never seen stairs and our new townhouse has three finished levels and plenty of spaces for them to hide.
This should be interesting. I hope that they still spend most of their time cuddling with me. =]
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
If you don't have cats, you can ignore this.
If you do.. please help me out...
Which is best...
Moving all of our stuff first and cats last?
Moving cats first and stuff last?
I want to do whatever will stress them out less. They freaked when we moved into our current apartment and it was only a 50 foot walk.
You may or may not know that I'm not a fan of my job this year.
You may know, because I used to talk about it more. You may not know, because I decided to stop talking about it at least 5 months ago. I stopped talking about it because I'm a psychologist and I should know better- I should know that thinking negatively makes you feel negative and thinking positively (and/or ignoring the negative) can work wonders for the soul.
So, as a result, I stopped talking about it (more or less).
Despite that fact that I stopped talking about my extreme job dislike, things did not get much easier for me.
DISCLAIMER/SIDENOTE: When I talk about job dislike, I don't mean that I dislike my job- my actual job is fabulous. I dislike my "placement" but it's easier to explain when I call it my job.
All year my principals have been very hard on me. Sometimes you luck out with placement, sometimes you don't. This year I was blessed with a principal that expected me to teach kids how to write a sentence (not my job) and to "fix" every kid that causes a problem behaviorally. I'm not a miracle worker. I would love to help you, but I can't fix anyone in a day, let alone a year. The other principal wasn't really a peach either. She let me know from day one that she wanted someone else as her psychologist this year, and expected me have ESP and to know what she wanted whenever she wanted it-- without any guidance (among many other things that I don't feel like rehashing).
Anyways, I digress. I had my review today with my actual boss. I was NOT looking forward to it because of the rough year that I've had. Thankfully, my boss was able to put me at ease immediately. She's seriously the most incredible and supportive boss ever. All year I've felt like a failure thanks to my two principals. My boss gave me the inspiration to keep trying and to brush off their complaints.
Although she only sees us on a monthly basis, she's got it all together and she knows whats up. She knows that both of my schools were out to get me from the beginning and she was able to reassure me and make me feel better about myself. It wasn't all my fault, and I'm so happy to know that SOMEONE, even if it's only one person, feels that way.
So my rating wasn't as outstanding as last year, but it wasn't as dreadful as I thought it would be. The problems that they reported about me were completely ridiculous and my boss understood that. For example, the complaints included: Ashley was 4 minutes late for work, 3 times this year and my personal favorite-- does not dress professionally for work. This one is absolutely laughable and REALLY pisses me off. I go to work each day in a dress, skirt, khakis, or dress pants. Although I do not own 2343432 pastel pant suits (like some people I know), I dress very professionally. In fact, my boss actually said listen Ashley, I've visited your school and during your observation half the people in the meeting were dressed unprofessionally and she assured me that I always look great when she sees me.
It just really pisses me off that my principal actually said that I dress unprofessionally. If you went to my school, you would see people in jeans, tennis shoes, t shirts, unwashed/unkempt hair and with eye brow rings. Apparently my principal complained about my dress back in October and my boss encouraged her to talk to me about it. She never did.
Okay, rant over. I've got to get back to thinking about rainbows and unicorns, and being pleased with the fact that although my year sucked and I can't dress, I am tenured.
I cannot wait for this school year to end.
Monday, May 11, 2009
It has been awhiiiiiiiiiile.
I've been busy, busy, busy lately.
The fiance and I close on our house in 10 days so we've been packing and enjoying our last few days in our current hometown.
Last Thursday I had sushi and a few drinks with my girlfriends, on Friday we met some friends at the town center for more drinks and a free outdoor concert. On Saturday, the fiance golfed with the boys and I went for pedicures and lunch with the girls. On Sunday we traveled (too much) and hit up my mom's house for lunch and John's sister's house for his dinner with his mom.
I'm exhausted and I have a full week of work this week!
This week isn't looking much better either-- we've got kickball tonight and on Wednesday (rain day) and then we're meeting with the videographer on Thursday evening.
I know I'm boring and far too MIA right now but I'll post as much as I can between now and the move (aka not much). Don't get discouraged... I will be back after the move with many before/after pictures and DIY projects!
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
I'm not normally this conceited, but....
have any of you pretty ladies tried eyelash extensions?
I have been blessed with very short AND blonde eyelashes. I'd love to get them looking fabulous for the wedding, but I'm torn (I've only had my hair professionally colored once in the last 10 years so eyelashes seem a bit extreme).
I found a certified place near where I live, with rave reviews, that will do them for under 200 bucks. I may need to bite the bullet and get lush, beautiful lashes for my wedding day.
Speaking of marrying my fabulous fiance-- I do it in 5 1/2 months!
Monday, May 4, 2009
I SO wish that my bridal party read my blog (I don't think many do, if any).
If I'm going to have a bachelorette party, I'm going to need some accessories.
First up, the penis beer bong.
Duh. Of course I need that. Not for me, but for my friends to sip out of.
I've actually always wanted a life sized penis. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it, but it would look great in my bedroom. P.S. I have that hat. And those jeans.
Last but not least, the penis pinata. I love candy, so I'm obviously going to love this pinata.
You can find this great stuff and more at www.bachelorette.com
I love it. I'll be surfing all night.