After a two week (ToT) hiatus, I'm back with Ten on Tuesday. Visit Roots and Rings and link up!
1. What type of home do you currently reside in? (house, apartment, etc.)
A three level town house. It's 1800 sq feet if you count the finished basement. 1200 if you don't. I'm jealous of all these 24 year old boggers that live in 3-4,000 sq feet houses. I wish. It doesn't help that we live in the metro DC/Baltimore area (read:pricey).
2. If you could completely redecorate one room in your home, what room would you pick, why, and what would you do to it?Good question. I would love to redecorate our bedroom. It's okay, but we could probably do more with it and I would love a new dresser that doesn't sway (thank you ikea... not).
If I could renovate, I'd love to knock out the entire house and start over. If I can't do that I'd at least expand the kitchen a bit and redo the finished basement/add a bathroom down there.
3. What is your favorite place to gain inspiration for your home decor style?
No where really. I just do what feels good to me. I do read some home decor blogs though.
4. What is your favorite piece of decor in your home?
This is so sad, but I have nothing particularly awe inspiring in my house in terms of furniture. I can't think of anything besides the TV that is worth more than 250 bucks. Now, I work these hand me downs but it's still not quality stuff. I love our family pictures and wedding pictures. That would be my favorite decor.
5. What do you want visitors to feel when they visit your home? Do you think your home gives off that feeling?
Homey and like they just walked into Pottery Barn. Ha. Like I said, my stuff is dirt cheap (ikea, target, value city, garage sale) but I know how to make it look expensive. I've had at least a handful of people walk in and tell us our house looks like a Pottery Barn catalog. I am resourceful and VERY pleased that they feel that way.
6. Describe your home in one word and explain why you chose that word.
It's small, but we made it our own. Everyone that has visited compliments us on it and I'm proud of that. It's what we could afford and although it's not fancy or in the best part of the neighborhood we made it our own and I'm proud of that. That being said, I am an impulse buyer and I wish I had thought more before buying a house. Something is always breaking-- so I sometimes miss renting. Majorly.
7. What are some predominant colors or patterns in your home?
Soft sage green, pale blue, and a lemony yellowy cream with mostly white furniture.
9. Do you take a hands-on or DIY approach to projects around your home or do you enlist or hire help?
We're pretty hands on and do it ourselves. When we can't fix something my parents usually can. My parents can do ANYTHING home DIY related (even my mom). It's almost crazy. Lay a roof- they can do it. Finish a basement- they can do it. Hang drywall- they can do it. Install their own cabinets- no problem. They are amazing. Although my dad has slowed down now that he's in his fifties, he's helped us with a lot of projects. Since moving we've done a few design on a dime changes-- namely changing our dining room and our bathroom.
10. Where is your favorite place to shop for home furnishings?
Marshalls, homegoods, target, garage sales, Crate and Barrell, Pottery Barn (for ideas).